The title of the episode refers to…
Returning to his home of Pyke after nine years as the Starks’ ward, Theon is reunited with his sister, Yara, and Balon, who despises Theon for his Northern ways and intends to win back his crown by force.
Cersei rejects Robb’s terms and Tyrion exiles Slynt, head of the Gold Cloaks, to the Wall, promoting Bronn to commander of the watch.
On the road to the Wall, Arya reveals her true identity to Gendry.
North of the Wall, Tarly is approached by one of Craster’s daughters, Gilly, who is pregnant and fears for her unborn son; Jon Snow is reluctant to help her despite Tarly’s pleas.
In the Red Waste, one of the horses returns to Daenerys with the severed head of its rider in a pouch, a message from one of her enemies.
In Dragonstone, Davos, Stannis’s henchman, recruits the pirate Salladhor Saan to Stannis’ side, and the latter has sex with Melisandre to obtain the son his wife cannot give him.
Jon Snow discovers that Craster sacrifices his sons to the White Walkers; in response, Craster knocks Jon Snow unconscious.
Related Chapters in the Books
A Clash of Kings:
- Prologue: Stannis has declared himself King, as the heir of Robert. Maester Cressen attempts to poison Melisandre, but she is unaffected, and he only succeeds in killing himself.
- Chapter 2, Sansa I: Sansa attends a tourney for Joffrey’s name day. When Ser Dontos is called to fight, he is too drunk to participate. Joffrey humiliates him and orders him to be killed. Sansa, horrified, tells Joffrey that it would be bad luck to kill him on his name day. Sansa suggests that he would make a better fool instead and Joffrey allows it. Tyrion finally arrives in capital and tells Joffrey that there is work to be done.
- Chapter 3, Tyrion I: Tyrion meets with the small council and assumes his position as acting Hand of the King. After dismissing the council, he discusses with Cersei what has happened in King’s Landing, including Joffrey’s disastrous short reign. Cersei accepts Tyrion as Hand.
- Chapter 4, Bran I: Bran thinks about what the red comet means and hears that it means dragons are coming. Osha knows that Bran is still having wolf dreams.
- Chapter 7, Catelyn I: Catelyn counsels Robb, as she is desperate to get Sansa and Arya back. Robb sends his peace terms to Cersei and orders Theon to travel to Pyke to treat with his father, Balon. Catelyn is sent to the Stormlands to negotiate with Renly Baratheon.
- Chapter 10, Davos I: Davos watches the burning of the Seven. Stannis draws out the sword Lightbringer. Stannis discusses his plan to take the Iron Throne and drafts a proclamation naming Joffrey a bastard.
- Chapter 12, Daenerys I: Daenerys leads her people into the red waste. She sends three of her dothraki in different directions to find civilization.
- Chapter 23, Jon III: Jon and Lord Commander Mormont’s party arrive at Craster’s Keep.
- Chapter 33, Catelyn IV: A Stark realizes that Bran was pushed from a window, by whom and for what reason.
Almost as soon as we learned he existed, Rakharo, the Dothraki scout that went off to look for help, came back to Daenerys as nothing but a severed head.