The title of the episode refers to…
Tywin oversees the reforging of Ice, the Stark ancestral sword, into two new swords, one for Jaime, who tries to deal with the loss of his sword hand and Cersei’s love.
Prince Oberyn Martell, on behalf of his brother, Prince Doran of Dorne, arrives in King’s Landing with his paramour, Ellaria Sand, to attend the royal wedding and is welcomed by Tyrion. Oberyn openly reveals to Tyrion his motive for his visit: revenge against the Lannisters for the rape and murder of his sister, Elia, wife of Prince Rhaegar.
In the North, while Styr and his group of cannibal Thenns reinforce Tormund, Ygritte, and the other wildlings, Jon is released by Maester Aemon after confessing what he did during his time with the wildlings to gain information.
In the Riverlands, Arya and the Hound reclaim her sword, Needle, from Polliver, killing him and his men.
In Essos, Daenerys leads her army on a march towards Meereen, the last of the three great slave cities, though she is troubled by how her dragons are becoming less tame as they grow.
Related Chapters in the Books
A Clash of Kings:
- Chapter 30, Arya VII: Lannister men-at-arms harass an innkeeper’s daughter, despite her father’s protests.
- Chapter 65, Sansa VIII: Sansa meets Dontos in the godswood. He gives her a jewelled accessory and tells her to wear it at Joffrey and Margaery’s wedding.
A Storm of Swords:
- Chapter 32, Tyrion IV: Ned Stark’s great sword, Ice, is forged into two new Valyrian swords for Jaime and Joffrey.
- Chapter 38, Tyrion V: Tyrion greets the Dornish envoy on the Kingsroad. Oberyn Martell brings up the story of his sister Elia’s brutal death at the hands of Gregor Clegane.
- Chapter 57, Daenerys V: Daenerys and her army find a crucified slave child at every milepost between Yunkai and Meereen.
- Chapter 58, Tyrion VII: Tyrion tries to console Sansa about the Red Wedding.
- Chapter 62, Jaime VII: Following Jaime’s return to King’s Landing, Tywin gives him a Valyrian steel sword forged out of Ned Stark’s Ice. Jaime refuses to give up his role as Lord Commander and return to Casterly Rock.
- Chapter 67, Jaime VIII: Jaime looks through the Book of Brothers in the White Sword Tower.
- Chapter 69, Jon IX: Jon is brought before Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne to prove his innocence.
- Chapter 72, Jaime IX: A Lannister claims that Stannis will not stop fighting despite his defeat.
- Chapter 74, Arya XIII: Arya and Sandor Clegane fight Polliver and other Lannister men at an inn.
The Winds of Winter:
- Chapter unknown, Mercy: Arya kills the man who killed her friend Lommy while repeating the words this man had said to the boy before killing him.
A Lannister man-at-arms, the Hound kills Lowell in the skirmish at the tavern.
A man-at-arms in service of House Lannister. He stole Needle from Arya in an attack on the Night’s Watch recruits with Yoren, which earned him a spot on her little list.
- Cause of death: Stabbed in the throat by Arya Stark, after getting Needle back from him.
- Sadness ranking: 1. He was gross, but it was sort of sad to see Arya love killing him so much.